Friday, April 23, 2010

POTW: Diversity

Its that time of the week again, for the Bump POTW. Our illustrious leader is a bit late in posting results, and I decided I can't wait to share my options.

This week's theme was Diversity. Since I chickened out of asking my Indo-Canadian coworker and my Caucasian coworker if I could do a mini photo session with them (I had this idea in my head of some sort of strength of unity image centred around their hands clasped/fists together), instead I opted to head down to the Denman and Davie area in Vancouver's West End, which is the centre of Vancouver Pride and the GABLT community. Here were my 2 favourite shots:

randomly painted wall in Pride flag colours

SS:1/400
Aperture:f/11
ISO:200
Focal Length:105mm (157mm in 35mm)
I did increase colour and contrast through a curves adjustment, then ran an unsharp mask to try and bring out more of the texture of the brick. Not sure if I succeeded or not. I wish I could have gotten this one on an angle with some shallow of DOF acting as a leading line/repetition, but I was actually shooting this over a rooftop, so I couldn't get closer. Instead I opted for dead on and to fill the frame with colour.


SS:1/320
Aperture:f/11
ISO:200
Focal Length:18mm (27mm in 35mm)

Also ran a curves adjustment to lighten, brighten and increase contrast.

I couldn't decide between them. Are they both interesting, or are neither doing very much? I opted to submit #1.

This shoot did bring up an interesting philosophical question - what is the etiquette around shooting other people? I felt like a bit of an intruder as it was walking the neighbourhood just photographing flags. I definitely didn't have the guts to ask if I could photograph any clearly gay/mixed race couples. I have the same crisis of conscience when I am on vacation in foreign countries and never have the nerve to photograph a local on the side of the road. Could I have though? What do you do when you are trying to capture real life, as it happens?

No comments: